How to Stop Condensation on Air Conditioner Grills
With the recent weather conditions being extremely humid and warm, you might have noticed your AC vents or even window looking like they are leaking water or sweating. The cause is simply that your air conditioner is working well. “Wrong” you say…. Let me explain the science behind it.
- Warm air can hold much more humidity than cold air
- As the humidity in the air rises the dew point rises
- The air temperature your conditioner is blowing out, is below the dew point which causes the metal grill to sweat or condensate.
Below is a dew point calculator that may help you see the correlation of the three values.
Click to View Dew Point Calculator
Dew point is the temperature where water vapors in the air start going into a liquid phase. When a surface is below the dew point, the moisture in the air starts to turn into a liquid. “Dew”
There are a couple things you can do to help stop air conditioner condensation from forming at your house:
- Move to Wisconsin
- Make sure the AC box, just behind the grill is caulked to the sheetrock so that no attic air is being pulled in.
- Minimize open doors and windows, keep the humid air outside
- Raise your thermostat a little to let the metal grills warm up.
- If those don’t work, you can always let Ford Strei Builders do a complete remodel of your house, that’ll fix it.